View Single Post
      01-12-2020, 07:59 PM   #13
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
My wife just got a Miata RF with the GTS package as her "toy" car about two months ago-- she used to have a first-gen soft-top MX-5, but the hard top was what she wanted because we live in Denver (with our eye eventually on Seattle); a hard top is worth its weight in gold somewhere where it snows/rains a fair bit.

It's admittedly a blast to drive, and the MT is probably just about the best in the industry-- it's got a *really* nice feel to it; the gates are just about perfect for where you want them to be.

BUT--

It would be *insane* as a daily driver. My wife's "fun sized" and even she says the entire capacity of the car is her plus a purse.

I'm 6' with a fairly long torso, and I can NOT fit in it with the top up-- and even with the top down, it's a stretch. And the only way I really fit is to put my knees up near the front bolster and then recline the seat as much as I can.

And, now that I'm in my 50's? It's sort of a contortion act to get in/out of it-- which takes a lot of the fun out riding in it-- I'm in reasonable shape, but it takes a lot of bending, twisting and pulling that isn't much fun on a day to day basis.

On the other hand, it's a *complete* hoot to drive, even at lower speeds. It's not especially overpowered so you have to really concentrate on driving it *well* to get it to do what you want-- but, talk about being "one with the machine".....

One thing-- if you do go with the MX-5, I'd really recommend the GTS package-- which is front engine brace, LSD, and Bilstein struts. It's a lot of bang for the buck (especially the LSD). Yes, you can do better on the suspension if you want to go aftermarket, but the GTS package is a blast right out of the box, and the ride quality, while firm, isn't bad at all. Well worth the extra $750 that it costs.

Overall verdict-- Pound for pound/dollar for dollar? The most fun weekend car there is-- IF YOU FIT. But I suspect it would be homicide inducing as a daily driver and the shine would wear off quickly.

R.
Thanks R for your real-world experience! Luckily I'm pretty short at 5'6, so I will fit fine. And yes, I would definitely require the GT-S package.

Good news is for MY20, it is included in the GT trim now and I wouldn't get it in any other form. I have driven the NC, but not the ND Miata, so I will try to get some seat time next weekend for a verdict.

I however still have a sweet spot for the BMW since it's been something I've wanted for some time. However, I have test driven it a couple of times and maybe I need more options before making a final decision.