12-27-2019, 11:22 PM   #20
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by apue View Post
My car is 6 months, 6000km golf R. The instant offer was 40k and its competitor dealer quoted 43k. Just imagine that I saw the invoice price 83k so can I say I pay the 83k cash and decide to keep my R? No, they won't let me do that.
So the realistic price is somewhere between 90 - 93k, IMO.
I understand... maybe your dealer’s parent company also owns a VW dealership.

Sounds like your dealer had to get creative with the car pricing to make the deal happen. It doesn’t matter at the end of the day. If they are happy to sell and you are happy to buy, deal done!

Quote:
However I disagree with the 20k discount idea, I'm afraid. Is it realistic to expect the dealer will give 10k discount for every year older even if they're same spec, same model?
I think the rate of discount per the built year is case by case.
Indeed! Everything about the car sales is case-by-case. Some other brands have discounted 15% for an identical car but a year older. Is it the norm? I don’t know. Certainly not the norm with BMW.

Quote:
I plan to keep this car for 3-5 years. When I sell the car in 4 years time the difference of 2 years (built year) gap will be less than 10k by that time. (55 - 45k). If I don't drive much it's better to buy an 18 built undriven car because the depreciation curve is the function of both age and mileage. Unless the car's model/spec changed between the years, it is better to buy at cheap as possible.
Sounds like you have done the maths. Indeed, if you keep it longer, the age of the car will have less of an impact at the time of sales. Certainly, not as much as the mileage.

Quote:
Thanks. your post was greatly helpful.

I wish you receive your car soon and happy new year!
I am glad the write up helped you. Enjoy your new car and have a very happy new year to you!
Appreciate 0