03-02-2018, 08:45 PM   #75
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
Wow, that's crazy, seven M2 at a single dealer is like an entire year worth of allocations. Trust me I talked to 2 prominent CAs back in summer when I was seriously considering M2 over M3, and in a quarter (3 month period) they only get about two M2 allocations, that assuming they can sell most of their allotted 240i M which is not selling well compare to M2. Clarifications, dealers may get fewer M2 if they have 240i M sitting on their lot, it's the game BMWNA play to reward resourceful dealers for moving stale merchandises.

That also means that dealer hang on to their allocation even though no one is willing to pay MSRP for M2, they'll end up like BMW Northwest the only dealer I know of that still has M4 GTS 18 months after it's released; well the market is not paying $10k over MSRP on M4 GTS and they seems to miss that memo.
What exactly is your evidence that "no one is willing to pay MSRP for M2 . . . .?" I haven't seen that. I've seen dealers holding on to these cars until someone walks in and pays retail for it. Sure, you can call around and you might get lucky, but unless you are really really lucky you are not going to have an opportunity to buy one of these cars configured the way you want it and sold to you at a meaningful discount. It could obviously happen to some people, but the norm? Clearly not.

I would bet that the vast majority of people on this board paid MSRP for their M2s, and a lot of them did that recently. I myself have one coming in shortly. I'm a "deal" type of guy and you can bet that if I could have gotten a deal easily on a car that I wanted, that did not involve airplane flights, a long drive, and lots of wasted time, I would have done exactly that. Some people have other, more valuable things to do with their time than wasting 2 or 3 days trying to save a couple of thousand dollars.

What IS true is that there is no reason anymore to pay a premium over MSRP; that era is over, except for maybe a couple of specific geographic areas, and those areas have so many dealers that it's hard to believe that this problem can't be avoided somehow.

It's winter; a few of these cars have piled up on a few dealer's lots. This is not a continent-wide situation, and although some people here have reported opportunities to buy pre-ordered cars at a significant discount, very few have been able to order them the way they want them, with very many $$ off.