View Single Post
      03-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #169
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

BLOCK PREP

many thanks to Don - dcvee for this technique, he was nice enough to take his time and explain this in a PM to me. Thanks man!

1st up

use plastic scrapers you can pick up at Home Depot for a few bucks and lacquer thinner to get the top of the block clean, removing all gasket material.

2 honing block in 6"x2"x1" in both coarse and fine from McMaster.

The coarse block before being used.

Now that I had the block all sealed up, I can use wd40 for honing oil without it getting down into the bores and damaging things.

started with the coarse block, wet it with wd40. Start from the front of the block by cyl 1 and with the stone hanging over each side of the block use even pressure and small circular movements and grind all the way to the back of the block. Keep the stone hanging over the block at all times!

Work from front to back, then back to front. This is one pass. I did 2 passes with the coarse, keeping it well lubed. Then wipe clean with lacquer thinner and do 1 more pass.

here is what the block looked like after 2 passes.

Then use the fine block and do 3 passes with the same technique.

Me hard at work, shoulders started getting tired!

Again clean the block really well w the LT.

Now take some 400 grit aluminum oxide wet sand paper and wrap it around one of the blocks, wet with wd40...spray the block too. Make 6 passes with the sandpaper. this will really smooth it out and bring up the shine.

and you end up with this after you clean it all up.

and after the bore plugs are removed and cleaned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matutino View Post
Waiting for full write up Sr.!
ask and you shall receive

Last edited by Sniz; 03-16-2010 at 08:07 AM..
Appreciate 0