View Single Post
      02-26-2020, 02:49 PM   #22
atomic837
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4, 2009 135i, 2016 M2

Currently drive and have owned an '09 135i for ten years, and I owned a '17 M2 for about a year. I sold the M2 last year, and I don't particularly regret it.

Yes, the steering in the M2 was very light and unnatural in the M2 (with or without Sports Plus enhancements). While the 135i steers heavily at low speeds, there's a certain charm to the physical/hydraulic nature of it.

The two things that really disappointed me about the M2.... the general ergonomics and quality of life aspects of the car (i.e. the elimination of a cruise control stalk, overly electronic interior that was in some ways inferior to the 135i's more simplistic interfaces), and the sense of power.

While people have debated me on this one, the N55 engine in the M2 just felt lazy and laggy as compared to the N54 in the 135i. I've given up trying to understand how or why. It's just the way I felt in comparison, and it bugged me so much that I immediately went to look for ways to try to fix it (to limited success). The M2 has more power, but it felt slower to me because the throttle/turbo response just felt slow. In the 135i, just tapping the gas pedal lurches the car forward a bit and gives a general sense of eagerness to accelerate. I think I'm in the minority here about this, but this was a big reason why the M2 did not ultimately become the replacement vehicle that I expected it to be.

In the end, the 135i still feels like a semi-mechanical beast of sorts, which is what was lost on the way to making the M2. My two cents of course!
Appreciate 0