View Single Post
      08-23-2019, 01:05 PM   #157
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

In the late '60s and '70s, I had friends/acquaintances who had Porche's and BMW's.

One acquaintance had a Porche, and that was quite a car, but you just about had to be poured into it to fit. There wasn't much more inside of it besides a radio, heater, and seats. But he worked on a pit crew for some racing team, so I think I understand why it was the car for him.

A friend had a 2002tii. It was about as spartan an inside as you could imagine.

Even then and certainly not today, I could not even imagine going on any trip with either those or using one as a daily driver.

A few years ago when we went to replace our SUV, we figured what the heck let's check out BMW. I had no idea what models BMW had but had images in my mind of a couple of trips I had in that 2002tii.

We looked at the X3 and liked it. Then the dealer told us it was made in SPARTANburg and visions of the trips I took in that 2002ii popped int my brain. But we got the X3 and now have replaced it with an X5.

Of course, those '60s/'70s BMW's connected the driver directly to the engine, transmission, and road; but not much else. I think that most of BMW's current customer base would not even consider a BMW if they were still in that '60s/'70s design frame of mind; even the performance-oriented ones.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50