03-14-2019, 08:18 AM   #63
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
What do you guys think about this.

M2 - Same story. Everything is comming from other models in production.
M2C - Same story again.

The M2 only exits because it wil always be a parts bin car.
While technically true, there are certainly worse fates for a vehicle than to share parts with the BMW M4 which is a critically acclaimed high performance sport coupe.

Quote:
Now lets talk about new M2 in 2022 or so.

There is no manual gearbox available evey bmw has an automatic.
This is not true, and furthermore inside information currently suggests that the S58 will be mated to a manual transmission for one last purist-targeted RWD+6MT M3/M4 model. It is true that, for the new B58TU, the question of a manual pairing is still open. I would not be surprised to see the answer there be "no", especially if there is no B58 powered G42 which is a possibility (M Performance model could switch to a high output B48 instead). However, this would actually be a win/win - the M2 and M3/M4 "Pure model" can justify one another since the combined unit sales for the shared powertrain help make the business case for the S58+6MT combo.

Quote:
There will not be a DCT only made for the M2. DCT box is also very expensive. New M3 will get ZF8 HPX box which means awd to rwd option.
I would agree that if the G8x M3/M4 lose the DCT (and would also tend to agree the chances for that are high at this point), that the G87 M2 will probably lose it as well. That would certainly make the most sense for controlling costs. This might actually have the effect of pushing MT M2 sales upward.

Quote:
Engine could be B58 or maybe detuned S58. Pricewise the B58 is the best option.
The added cost of the S58 over the B58 is likely marginal. Even if the base model G87 uses the S58, I would expect only a small increase in price from today's M2 Competition model (with slightly more power in that case too, probably).

Quote:
How about the body... Maybe it will be build from the z4 platform.

Z4 base would not be a bad idea. Smaller wheel base more agile car.
The Z4 uses the CLAR matrix just like every new RWD BMW has starting with the G11/G12 back in 2015. So yes, the G42 and G87 will without question be built on CLAR as well. And I agree that it is very reasonable to guess that they could borrow some of the development used for the short wheelbase version that underpins the Z4 and Supra.

In summation, given the available tools in corporate toolshed, I strongly suspect that the G42 and G87 will be fantastic vehicles.
Appreciate 3
pz6193277.00
M2GT120.00
ddk632585.00