View Single Post
      12-23-2019, 03:07 PM   #28
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
This is exactly the reason I am tempted not to re-install my UCP. The helper spring is designed to provide resistance before and after the bite point and help out around the bite point. I think the UCP moves the 'dead' position of the helper spring so it effectively no longer lines up with the bite point position. I ended up going with the position they claim is closest to stock, but still found modulating the bite point more difficult that the stock pedal.

I'm not sure if this is only a problem with newer cars or not. Maybe the E series cars had a different helper spring setup that wasn't as good as ours.

I'm probably going to put it back on, perhaps I'll even do it tonight, but there is a high chance I'll go back to stock again because it feels just great now with the stock pedal, CDV removed and the UCP stop (which is like the BMS stop).
About a week ago i decided to swap back in the stock pedal and see if what you were saying is true about the helper springs and bite point with the UCP. I have to say, you are certainly right. I find it a lot easier to modulate the clutch bite point compared to how it is with the UCP. I have the stock pedal working with the UCP clutch stop with the two metal washers removed.

I think in all of the excitement of UCP lowering the resting point of the pedal over stock (my biggest complaint), I must have glossed over the spring/bite point issue.

I really don't like the resting point of the stock pedal being so high or that clutch catches half way through the pedal stroke, but it is certainly easier and smoother for me to drive and less thinking is involved. I can certainly shift faster with the UCP and for harder driving, it's ideal, but perhaps for daily driving, it's not ideal if you value smooth take-offs and shifting. My wallet hates to say it, but I think I'm leaving the stock pedal in.

Regarding the CDV delete, do you notice the bite point being more consistent? It seems to me like the CDV causes it to move position in the pedal stroke. One thing I've noticed is that you can hold the pedal out just to the point that it's biting and you can actually feel the clutch very slowly engage the gear with absolutely no change in pedal movement. My guess is that's the CDV in action.