View Single Post
      10-21-2021, 09:00 PM   #4
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoninator12 View Post
I don't know if I'd call them crummy filter settings. I think that the EQ that Harman set is really quite nice.
I don't doubt the Morel tweeters are better, but the filters of the stock system are not tuned correctly at all. The measurements that Savagegeese did on an F22 show really bad frequency response and there is a vendor here that also showed massive deviations (+/-10db) from flat in the wrong places.

Replacing the amp helps not because the amp is grossly distorting, but because the DSP is in the amp and the filters look to be designed by Harman interns.

The stock tweeter sounds harsh not because it's cheap, or because it's a metal dome, but because it's only got got a first order passive crossover (cap) and it's being abused by the signal delivered to it. I've built better sounding systems with ultra cheap paper cone drivers. The key is treating them correctly.

I also thought that upgrading the speakers would be the first thing to do, but that was before I discovered how poorly designed this system is.
Appreciate 0