View Single Post
      04-30-2019, 01:35 PM   #23
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

I've been braying since this claim of a difference "feel" between both vehicle started.

Yet M2C owners are adamant that the parts operation somehow "changed" but not the part numbers.

Tell me, why would they do that? Did they run out new digits to generate a revised part numbers? :
Don't really want to get into the whole M2 versus M2C, but I can speak to inventory control. Frankly we don't know how BMW manages their internal inventory. I think there can be some credence to revised parts getting the same part number, especially if it's really close in design. Our organization does the same (not car industry, but consumer goods manufacturing).

1. UPC/EANs ranges need to be purchased. So constantly issuing new UPC/EAN for parts that have minor revisions can get expensive. For one part number it won't be a big deal but something that might have a BOM as extensive as auto manufacturing, it'll add up. Honestly it's not as buttoned up as people think. We constantly have a problem where someone uses a UPC that was already issued to us or we accidentally use someone else's. Limiting part numbers for minor changes reduces the chance of this happening.
2. Part numbers aren't the only way to distinguish identity. Many WMS systems have different layers of control. There are concepts such as "package codes/owners" among others. My organization use this for parts that are designated for different projects and applications. This could make sense especially if the follow up question when asking for a part number is "which car/platform is this for?".
3. There could be a concept of phase in/phase out where one part number with minor revisions supplant the old one. This is more commonly referred to as a running change.

I can go on and on, but point is we really don't know unless someone can speak to BMW's inventory control. Could be one of the reasons above but it could also be there is no change. Just thought I would point that out. I'm taking a neutral stand here
Appreciate 4
Poochie9104.50
akkando5864.50
Kankles1484.50
clee1982797.50