Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Here I publish the full rebute to the original article which was mis-interpreted.

An online journalist PM'd me regarding this statement that was found on a German forum.
I will correct to let you know what is ongoing.

The strategy has just begun and where it is at is a few sketches by the design department and ideas conjured around a conference table.
We have no production plans yet. But if green-lit it will be after 2015.

Again powerplants , engine placement etc is not final as the car exists on paper. The strategy is called M-one because it will be the first of it's kind in a generation. A proposal for exclusivity and using the M badge and not being an existing BMW. It could be full production or it could be sold as an exclusive edition as I mention there is still a lot to determine.

BMW will share CFRP resources with it's other brands including M once the i3 and i8 get underway. BMW M was always destined to inherit some of the technology know-how and BMW M will showcase two models (one next month) on it's lightweight knowhow and one which focuses entirely on material technology as showcased by the 328 Hommage.

Of course this is the direction we are aiming the strategy at, but given that this is not part of the "20" the new 20 models from BMW due before 2015. The resources to have something effectively production ready after 2015 will be far more cost effective for the strategy because CFRP will be in mass volume production.

The sketch was developed entirely for a different purpose. But the idea did catch attention and since BMW did not focus on the design angle for the Connected Drive concept car they were taken aback when reaction to the car was very well received. But since the sketch caught senior attention they have added a roof and a higher windscreen to judge reaction and you could see the return of the concept this time as a coupe.
But it could form the car/s in question because of it's bloodline to the original and hommage of the M1. It could hypothetically be based on the next M3 with a bespoke body applied to the chassis and engine of the M3?
But that is one of many suggestions being discussed prior from submitting the proposal.

Again it is part of the M-one strategy and is another idea to fullfill both ends of the market with a smaller concept and the larger concept.
Again the ideas exist on paper and relate to suggestions such as the modular structure for the F20/F30 family which will be able to offer front,mid and rear configuration for the engine and again be more cost effective. The use of specially developed 4 or 3 cylinders are very much in the lightweight idea of thinking.

The new CS if we bypassed the economic crisis would be here by now and everyone would be drooling at the prospect of the car. Sadly here we are with the CS being a casualty but not a closed chapter.
BMW always intended to go back to the shelf and have now suggested CS:2 for the next generation 7er using the next generation modular matrix for the next 5 ,6, 7, X5 and X6. Again the CS should the future treat it well will be after 2015. A new upper range Roadster has been designed and will soon move forward to entering it's development beginnings.

By 2016. China is expected to be the largest market for Premium luxury models. Sales are expected to be in the region of 1Million. With sales of 2million projected by 2020. It is very much within BMW's strategy in the second half of the decade to launch more premium models to take advantage of this growth.

Not only will the M's provide subsidies. but also BMW's FWD family of cars as well as the expanse of the 1er and 3er family.
X3 M is coming , an X1M is being looked at with the engineers having put the 1M's engine in the engine bay of an X1. If X1 surpasses 200,000 units by the end of the year we will see something.

But before that we will see the BMW 1er M Cabrio which will run out the end of the E88 production.

* The design sketch is inspired by the M1 and BMW Connected Drive/328 Hommage Concepts.
Now that's a post!

Most interesting thing you said "M6 V8 or radical inline 6". Which I sort of wonder if that impacts the V6 being discussed for the M3. And furthermore you didn't say M5 V8... implying there may be differences in power output or configuration.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0