11-25-2019, 06:00 PM   #20
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
Decided to get something new and was close to purchasing an S3 but found that the seats are uncomfortable compared to those in the S4 and with further reading the S3 is pretty much a VW in Audi clothing. I still love how it looks, but with how much I drive, I can't be uncomfortable.

I then began considering BMW and was looking into the M240i which in most reviews wins over the S3. With it having the B58 which is shared with the Supra makes me a little more confident in the reliability department.

I then started considering a lightly used M2. I found some 2017/2018's with around 10k for high 40's, which will end up being cheaper than a new M240i. The M2 does have the N series motor which I've read mixed things about from a reliability perspective. I did some searching and found plenty of 335's with over 100k for sale so it looks like they are holding up.

I drive 46 miles each way for work, 4-5 days a week, so around 100 per day, 25k or so per year. My current car, a 2013 Subaru BRZ has held up well since it had 6 miles on the clock, now at 170k and still on the original front brake pads.

Those who have experience with the M2, what are your thoughts on long term reliability and maintenance costs with the number of highway miles I drive? Safer to go M2 or M240i? I don't track or anything, really just want a fun daily, thinking the M2 will put a bigger smile on my face, but I think I'd be happy with either.
There is no problem with the N55. It's a great motor, tons of torque, and sounds fabulous! Much better sounding than the S55, which I had on my last M3.

There is nothing wrong with the M240i. It's a great car. But I'd buy the M2. You will have a classic in your garage, rather than a run of the mill BMW. It will definitely hold its value better. Just get one with a 6MT! Use the money saved to add a Fabspeed Catted Downpipe, Bootmod3 tune, and a Burger clutch stop!

Appreciate 0