View Single Post
      10-27-2019, 06:58 AM   #9
Fined
ghost user
Rep
Drives: M2 | 997 GTS

Late entry but thought worthwhile for someone else thinking over this.

I picked up my 2017 M2 about a week ago and had a chance to get it out for its first trip to the mountain twisty roads a couple days ago. I have owned a 2011 Carrera GTS for 3 years.

The two cars are pretty far apart in layout, ethos, original price, driving feel, and quality. They go about what they do so differently. What they share in common is being cars that are fantastic in execution and value for their current prices.

The 997.2 was terrific as a daily driver for 2+ years. Great reliability during the 30k miles of my ownership. Sublime in the mountain twisties and on track. The car exudes confidence and control even when pushed. The smoothness and progressive nature of how the car breaks away when pushed past its traction limits and the level of communication it offers is on another plane from the M2. I could not consider selling the 911 for an M2 or M2C. The cars, for me, have different purposes.

The M2 as a daily driver, from my experience over only the past week of ownership.. I'd take over my 911 (hence my reason for buying one as a daily). The 997.2 is older and feels older, its an evolution of the 996, and feels that way. It's not an old or dated feeling moreso it recalls the feeling of sporting cars from the past. The manner in which a 911 is equipped makes a big difference in the feel you get from it as well. My 911 with its hyper communicative steering, firmer Sport PASM suspension, lightweight centerlock wheels, lack of insulation in the rear, N/A 410hp flat six engine is entirely more sporty, more focused, and more dialed for driving pleasure. I'd say a properly equipped 997.2 Carrera S will be only slightly less of all these things, but still head and shoulders more direct and communicative than an M2 or M2C. 200-250lbs weight difference (for OG M2) makes a minor difference, though I can feel that my M2 is heavier than my 911.

On the other hand..

The M2 has great power delivery, modern tech, a gentler ride, and won't ever leave me wanting for performance for trips to customer labs across Germany. M2 has more comfortable seats, a full sized backseat and a larger trunk. Its a hoot to drive, and it resolves the aching sense of loss I've been bothered with since I got rid of my 128i M Sport 6MT that I daily drove for a year when I decided to use the 911 for pleasure driving only. There is something perfect about a small-ish BMW sports coupe for daily driving. With a great balance between practicality and sporting nature.. one which is hard to beat for daily driving.
Appreciate 1
termigni1081.00