09-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #8
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidyG View Post
If you fit non approved tyres, but still the same make, does this effect your insurance?
Not in the US. The only place I know that would be crazy enough for something like that is Germany. Perhaps the tires HAVE to be Star approved if BMW or NO if Porsche, etc. Someone in Germany can chime in on that one but for the rest of the world, no. The difference between star rating on the exact same model tires is miniscule and no one would ever notice. The manufacturer sets requirements for the tire manufacturer. They will say this model has to stop in the wet in 150 feet (usually metric equivalent). So Michelin will tune the 4S or Supersport slightly to achieve that specific requirement. Whereas the generic version stopped in 151 feet or 152 for example. At the same time, perhaps the non-marked 4S had a better dry braking distance but they have to meet the manufacturer requirement on that model. You can see the specs on Tire Rack website and compare all side by side. Some will have a slightly narrower contact patch that was adjusted to meet the wet requirement, etc. I have run Star, Unmarked and NO Porsche versions on my car in the same size and model and have never been able to tell much difference. I have been able to tell the difference between tire models like the PS2 and Supersports but not because of the Star rating.
Appreciate 0