View Single Post
      07-31-2019, 05:10 PM   #12
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

I definitely see a difference in the orange peel from the trunk to the suspect area in the first picture. Trunk orange peel looks normal for this car, suspect area does not. Orange peel farther down the quarter panel also looks normal.

In the second picture, I again see factory orange peel on the trunk, and also up on the C-pillar. Again the suspect area has different orange peel.

Given that a proper repaint would have probably involved the entire rear quarter and pillar, I am wondering if the suspect area is from a spot repair, perhaps one of those airbrush repairs. That's the only way I (in my limited experience) would expect to see such a local difference.

I know that occasionally minor paint defects get past the BMW inspectors, but I don't think they could have missed this one, due to both the location and how obvious it is. And I feel the same way about the port. They look cars over very carefully and they are capable of factory-quality paint jobs. If the port did their usual job you would never know. Finally, if this was simply a paint defect, I would expect the orange peel to be unaffected (ie, orange peel around a dirt nib doesn't change, for example). Instead, the variation in orange peel sticks out as a secondary indication something was repaired/changed and it sticks out independent of the underlying defects/damage.
Appreciate 0