05-23-2019, 08:17 PM   #38
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
I owned my E36 M3 for 13 years and had to fix a lot of stuff on it as time went by. I was told by a guy at a shop I had it in, that BMW maxed the car out as far as what it could take electrically. That's why it had so many issues later on. That's funny given the amount of electronics they have in the new BMW's, including the M2.

It was a fun car, and is what got me into BMW's.
BMW has done a lot of stupid things with cars over the decades, in spite of their reputation for being a quality, German-made, car. Wiring used in wire cable harnesses was frequently of very thin gauge and prone to wear, especially at friction points such as where the wires enter the doors. Lots of substandard parts made out of plastic have been the norm for a long time, and frequently you can't just replace the plastic doohickey, you have to replace an entire component at a huge cost, such things as gears in electrically powered seating systems, etc.

The electronics that i object to in modern cars are those that insulate the driver from driving the vehicle, and those taking over operation of the vehicle from the driver, navigation and other screens in the field of view, assorted nannies of all types, etc.