05-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #36
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
Did you ever drive the E36 M3? I only ask because I'm curious what you think/thought of it. I wish I still had mine so I could make a comparison between it and my M2.
I came very close to buying one about 5 years ago, but for reasons (most of which) I can't remember at this point, I did not. As a result I never test drove it and have no experience with that vehicle.

I did own an E36, 1993 BMW 325i for 10 years as my one and only vehicle during that period. I liked that car a lot and the only reason I got rid of it was a cascade of electrical problems no one could seem to fix, which accumulated towards the end.

I have owned a Z3M clown shoe coupe for several years, and it is considered to be an E36 vehicle as well.

The E36 M3 was known for its much weaker, less powerful engine, in US-sold vehicles.

The "connection" of the vehicle to the driver depends on a lot more than just horsepower. As was stated earlier in this thread, if you go back to the time when BMW was known as a producer of sports sedans, rather than as an SUV producer, virtually every car they produced was fun to drive and connected to the driver. A lot of those cars weren't that powerful, and most of them were not even close to being luxurious. My 1973 2002, purchased new for $3700, had no radio, no A/C, and would likely get beaten on the straightaway by a modern Prius. But, it was a really engaging and fun car to drive.