champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONDEMAND View Post
OP - Congrats on the beautiful car!

Let me be clear I'm a HUGE BMW fan and enthusiast, and the M2 in any form is a great car. I love my OG to death, but I agree with this statement x 1,000. Current BMW chassis are to fat and numb to be "the ultimate driving machine." There was a time when any, and I mean any BMW was an excellent driving experience (in general and certainly when compared to rivals in its perspective class) but those days are long gone. Handling, ergonomics, a chassis that communicated instantly with the driver because it was designed and built that well. No need for tons of electronic aids and adaptive suspension BS. Everything now is pure marketing and high HP, 0-60 dick measuring. I don't need more power, I need a chassis that is good no matter what HP level, or lack there of.

Being nostalgic here, no doubt the M2 has potential to be faster than the prior 135's I've modified and tracked, but it does so with a bloated and numb feeling, and this is not just steering. The 135 was a PIG for its size and had limited space for wider rubber but man was it engaging.

Moving from bespoke N/A M engines to forced induction was controversial, going from E series chassis with good steering feel to F series with even more weight and numb steering is blasphemy! HAHA! Those 135's had a rigid, accurate, crisp driving feel that I don't see any heavy F series achieving.

Too tall to fit in a miata, lotus, or even a 987 cayman for daily driving the M2 is indeed a great balance of sport and comfort but I doubt I will ever own a BMW newer than the OG M2 as things are headed in the wrong direction with the F series. When the budget can stretch a little further a 981 cayman S or GT4 is absolutely in my future. Simpy put M cars of today have lost what made them so special in the past.

Then again I don't ever buy my BMW's brand new so why would they really care about what I want......

And hey, at least these are not silly ass AWD hybrids.....yet!

Rant over - Happy for you and the new ride OP!
Certainly I wish lots of pleasure to all M2/M2C owners, especially the OP on this thread. They are fine cars, just not what I personally look for when it comes to driving enjoyment, although a nice package and better than most else that is out there in these times.

I used to own three, 1-Series vehicles, of which I retain two; my 1M, and a 135is coupe, both of which were purchased used. My third 1-Series car was a 135i coupe (also acquired used), which I traded in on my M2, and which I found to be a bit duplicative of my other 1-Series cars. I don't regret that trade in, nor the M2 purchase. It's a car I don't mind running up the odometer on, and that I can/am willing to drive in the snow and all winter long, something I absolutely do not do with any of my older and irreplaceable cars. So it serves a purpose.

I also have a 2018 Golf R., which in a value for money comparison beats the hell out of the M2, plus it is way more practical with its 4 doors and hatch. It's not as nice a car overall as the M2, but for functionality and value it's well worth considering these days and is still available in 6MT. Like the M2, the steering is pathetic, however. The Golf R doesn't seem to me to be as bloated and heavy, although this could just be the feel I get from it and not necessarily based on real weights.