View Single Post
      05-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
matty_f
on restriction from buying more cars
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 24 M2, 18 GT3T, 16 LR4, 67 912

Little late, but here are my thoughts...

I owned a 997.1S for about 4+ years. I sold it and got an M2. I go back and forth on whether I regret that decision.

Although my comparison will be with loads of seat time in the .1, all transfers to the .2. The main difference between models is the updated DI engine, which is a better engine, but doesn’t sound as good. That sound can be remedied easily with a low dollar a gundo hack or fister muffler upgrade. Other differences include slightly refined front suspension, an updated PCM and LED tails and running lights. Also PDK was introduced, but I only get manuals for my sports cars enjoyment.

The 997 is the pinnacle of steering for modern watercooled Porsches. The electronic steering in the newer 991, while good, is still noticeably worse than the 997. The wheel dances in your hands and you feel everything under foot. The old joke is you could drive over a maple leaf and feel it in through the steering wheel. It’s not quite that good, but it’s the benchmark for me.

The 997 is a serious car. It’s hard to drive fast with traction control off. The car will understeer on entry if you don’t trail brake correctly and oversteer on exit if you overcook it. And it will certainly bite you hard if you don’t respect it. When the back comes loose corrections have to be made quickly. If you over correct it will swing back violently the other direction. It can be quite dramatic and city streets are no place to experiment with this. With traction control on you will feel like the greatest driver ever. The Porsche stability control is excellent, it tames the oversteer and will gracefully hide all your mistakes.

Linking turns up a canyon road at 8/10th is one of the most enjoyable things to do in a 997. As you go from turn to turn you can feel the engine shift its weight in the back as it moves in the motor mounts and the tires shear over. It’s a little unsettling at first, but those 305 rears will hold you and you’ll grow addicted to the little wiggle from the rear between turns. It’s really something you need to experience to enjoy and the one thing I really miss. The other thing I miss is in the 997 you can hit the apex early and rocket out of turns like nothing else.

Burnouts are also a challenge for the 997, as with such large real wheels you can get wheel hop and that’s no fun. The clutch is heavier than the M2, but I wouldn’t characterized it as too heavy. I’d say the M2 is too light. I’m torn on the shifter feel. The 997 uses cables and has a little slop, while the M2 feels a bit rubbery. I’ll call that a wash.

The interior on the 997 is a timeless classic. I think it will age very well. I definitely miss the 5 gauge cluster. From a technology standpoint it’s extremely dated, but this is a drivers car so I don’t care. Try and get full leather if you can as the plastic dash cheapens the interior a bit.

On to the M2. When I first got the M2, I was disappointed. The seats are too high, the steering dead, the engine sound underwhelming, the turbo engine definitely has lag and it runs out of steam past 6000 rpms. By comparison the 997 just screams above 6000 and it’s a blast to wind it up to the full redline. But despite all that, I’ve grown to really love the M2. There’s something special about it. I think the main thing is it’s such a playful car. The rear steps out so easily and controllably that it’s such a blast to get it loose every now and then. The handling is precise and predictably and you don’t have to wring it out to have fun. I got the M2 to learn to become a better driver and it’s really helped in that regard. I also like that you can be incognito in the M2. It blends in with the sea of other BMWs in LA. There’s no way around it, but the Porsche will always be looked at as douchemobile and it feels a bit like you have a target on your back. I know the BMW is too, but to a much lesser extent.

The 997 definitely wins as a sportscar and it will feel special every time you get in it. If you’re just tooling around, the M2 feels just like sedan. But when you want to it’s easier to get loose and have fun with it without risking life and limb.
Appreciate 5
rich8566608.50
KevinM2931.00
ddnmkun153.50