02-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #25
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Medium load is vital. Accelerating firmly, pulling in gear, and decelerating, up and down the gears..

Get those rings bedded in properly to ensure good compression and minimal blow by in the long term. Cruising is no good for that. Rings need firm combustion pressure to force them into the bore to bed in before they glaze up.

I drive my m2c, on average, more gently now AFTER running in.

During run in I only took it out on "run in" drives. At least 45 minutes for full heat cycle, open roads, wide use of revs (5k is plenty), up to 2/3 throttle, drive it enthusiastically. Load the engine, brisk runs to 100mph.

Then get the oil changed (995 miles for me) and relax.

Now i use it normally, odd school run, traffic jams, town etc.
I completely agree with this break-in process. I essentially do this on all my cars. Decelerating down a hill for example after loading the engine as described above up the hill is something I add to the equation. I had my oil changed a bit early as well; about 1090 miles.

My suggestions to the OP are only to assist with the extended highway drive. I personally would not break in my engine this way. If highway driving is a must then varying and loading as much as possible is required.