View Single Post
      08-10-2020, 09:40 PM   #16
ChrisWalks
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Rookie shit head move for sure but don't hate the player hate the game. He was either doing as told or just bored. People in the Republic of California keep electing these morons who invent stupid laws in pursuit of $$$$

Not trying to harsh the OP but several things don't ad up here. I find it hard to believe this rookie cop knew anything of BMWs Performance Exhaust or sport modes. Did the OP offer up too much information? Why leave it in Sport+ and tach it up to 3K so he could get a measurement? Rule of thumb, deny everything and admit nothing (Politely that is )

Still, I can't see how this would ever hold up in court. The state would have to prove the OP modified the car. Surely California wouldn't allow BMW to import any car that violated state law. also sure a completely stock Ferrari would bust that threshold wide open at 3K RPM. Hell a Ford Mustang at idle would do it. Good luck OP, sounds like a B.S. pay to play ticket
So the full story is that when I realized I was being pulled over I decided to put the car back in efficient mode. When he came up to ask for license and registration, he told me that he pulled me over for my exhaust being too loud. He asked if my car had any kind of sport mode which made the car louder, and I foolishly said yes, it has a sport mode and I was driving in it (I figured he would give me a warning, and tell me to drive it in efficient and send me on my way). That's when he told me its illegal to drive it in sport mode or even have it in my car. Then he told me to put it back in sport+ and rev to 3k so he could take a measurement, and I once again complied. My thought process this whole time was just to do as he said so he could give me my warning. As you said there are a lot of stock cars out there that are above 95 dB limit, and I had no reason to believe my car was illegal since there is an "M Performance" logo on the muffler. He didn't even argue with me when I told him my car was stock, he just said I'm breaking the law and its my responsibility to know the law. When I asked how its possible that BMW can sell a car that is supposedly illegal in California, he said he wasn't sure and, suggested I should start a lawsuit if there isn't one already.

I've been pulled over before but never by a cop so unreasonable. In the past being polite and doing as they asked has always worked for me. This time it didn't. Rookie mistake I'm sure.
Appreciate 1