07-18-2019, 09:25 PM   #27
Craig8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C, RS3, R8 (gen 1)

RW Carbon front spoiler - quality/installation

In terms of quality/installation of the front spoiler:

Quality
-I was anxious to get the thing installed, so I have not really gone over it with a microscope but quick impressions are the finish is good / no glaring defects
-The M Performance part is undoubtedly better quality, but the RW Carbon gives the same look for lower price (I was less concerned about general quality since the spoiler is so low you are rarely going to be looking at it close up like you would be with something like mirror caps and likely its going to get scraped anyways during the course of daily driving)
-Given the complex shape of the bumper, my main concern was how well the spoiler would match the contours of the bumper but it was a pretty good fit when I was installing it

Installation
-Instructions - there are none, you're on your own to figure it out
-it comes with screws only (no tape or adhesive)
-on their FB page, a woman put in a review saying her front spoiler fell off on the highway (google front spoiler falling off on highway and you will find a bunch of people with this happening across various spoiler brands/cars so its more down to installation vs anything specific to their part)
-when I was installing the side winglets I found the installation instructions for the BMW part (https://rparts-sites.s3.amazonaws.co...Components.pdf) and they use rivets / and a strong adhesive (betalink) instead of screws/tape
-the front spoiler has 10 screw holes, 6 of them align to factory screws already in place, 4 you drill yourself
-I don't know what the 6 factory screws go into (it seemed pretty solid) but keep in mind its plastic so DO NOT OVER TORQUE
-the 4 screws you drill yourself go into very soft plastic (softer than the 6 factory screws) so again do not over torque and ensure you drill a very small pilot hole
-if you are using a threadlocker, do not use something like loctite as it does not work on plastic, use something like this: https://www.vibra-tite.com/threadloc...-3-threadmate/
-given how flush the spoiler mounts to the front bumper, I don't think adhesive tape would work well as it would cause a gap between the spoiler and bumper, I put some silicone caulking on the back part of the spoiler to give some extra adhesion in addition to the screws
-I'm going to see how this holds up, I think I will probably end up replacing the 4 drilled screws with rivets like in the BMW instructions just to be on the safe side
Appreciate 4
nis270r33.00
Kattanah137.50
clee1982797.50