Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsed65 View Post
Interesting post Dave. I've read that the MKIII wont' do PDAF with the 2X but the A9 will as the mkIII's PDAF is limited to f8 versus f11 on A9.
Yes, that's right. Also, the a7R III will AF at f/11, with little, if any, slowdown. It's a shame that the IQ sucks with the FE 2.0x. Don't order it unless we hear that it's been "fixed." OTOH, the FE 1.4x is very close to the bare lens.

I'm hoping for an a9R, with pixel-density close to the a7R III. Given the unique structure of the a9's sensor, that might be a long shot; however, I'd guess that they want to implement that across their lineup and are working on a higher density sensor. Anyway, with the high pixel density, you can happily work with the bare lens and the 1.4x.

Given the speed and silence of the a9, the a7R III does seem clunky, with the mechanical shutter and slower fps. For anything moving, you can't use silent shutter on the a7R III, without risking distortion. OTOH, the a9 operates in silent mode, with no distortion, with both compressed and uncompressed RAW files.