02-14-2020, 07:13 AM   #69
CWads69
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9820 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphygmomanometer View Post
Although this thread has gone quite off topic I'd still like to weigh in though:

I realise people are different and those people also drive cars for different reasons but let's be honest here:
  • 0-100 km/h (or any other 0-something) times do not really matter because how often do you do drag or quarter-mile racing? If they did matter, you would get something else or tune your car anyway.
  • Top speed does not really matter (anymore). Cars are generally quite fast already and where can you go that fast anyway? Before somebody mentions Germany: I live close to the German border and I get to drive fast every once in a while but even then nowhere close to maxing out the car - because of traffic.
  • Lap times do not matter because even if I'd go on a track I very likely could not replicate those lap times and I am going to be so bold and say that most of you guys couldn't either.
I think that leaves just bragging rights which is definitely a thing, maybe even the thing, I must admit.

What we can have daily is 'sheer driving pleasure'. This should come natural to us BMW drivers. And that's where the M2 is a stronger proposition and probably the strongest proposition in BMW (M)'s current lineup. It's when it all comes together: Chassis, engine, engine sound, maybe some driver involvement in the shape of a manual gearbox, the seats, the steering. It's also where you cannot hide weight.

That's what made me look into the current M2: From among the current BMW models it probably is what comes closest to the E46 M3, the ultimate in all the points mentioned above. I just wish it had a n/a engine (and no PPF).
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
You guys crack me up. M2 more fun to drive? It's a second slower in the 0-60. Be real.
I hope your being sarcastic...
Well said... my sentiments exactly! And since I own a '20 M2C that's a daily driver (except when it snows), it IS about the sheer joy of driving, the visceral feel and constant feedback the car provides, the set you back in your seat low end torque, the edginess that if you don't know what you're doing, the car could quickly get away from you... yes, there are faster, quicker, more beautiful cars, but most at a substantial premium. For the money, IMHO, the M2C is a great car, and great value!
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00