View Single Post
      04-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #22
digimattic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 6MT LBB M2

Dude - you're a legend. That's awesome. I am not sure about my ability to do that kind of soldering, but it's inspiring. I haven't got a USB port in my cupholder, so I'd have to think about cutting. Does the Pi pass through enough power to keep your phone running with Waze/spotify etc. running?

I was thinking of using one of these to feed the Pi. https://mausberry-circuits.myshopify...-supply-switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I cut the outer sleeving of the Ethernet cable close to (a few inches), but before Ethernet plug for the RPi, and cut the wires at that point. I soldered the micro USB connector on there and then put glue filled heat shrink over the whole connection area at that point.

My RPi now sits semi-permanently installed Velcro'd on to the top of the lower air-bag under the dash, power and data from the OBD port, internet and data to the phone over USB.

One additional thing I did was to re-wire the USB port between the cup holders so that it's connected to the RPi. I found that Wireless CarPlay, which connects by default and keeps trying to connect, perhaps understandably, messes with the WiFi hotspot function on my iPhone. PTF mentioned that you can do tethering through the USB port and I've found that this works great, even with CarPlay running wirelessly. To do this I ordered a replacement cable that clips in the back of the USB socket, unclipped the stock cable and just left it there, cut the new cable and soldered on a USB plug to go in the RPi.
Appreciate 0