nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmango View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
There's only a couple viscosities that meet LL-01 and or LL-04 for your case. As long as it meets that spec it's fine. So yes again. The credible source is your user's manual.
WRONG AGAIN - There is no reference to LL-01/ LL-04 in the users manual. As stated in the opening post "I stumbled on another thread where it appears that LL-01 oils a for high-sulphur fuels (USA). Whereas the UK & Germany have low-sulphur fuels, calling for a LL-04 grade. This is only from a forum post though so I can't verify it's credibility."

So I can't go from this; this is any Tom/ Dick/ Harry's advice; it's not from a credible source, & as mentioned it does not specify the exact spec of oil in the users manual (have you read it?).

Thanks BMWAUTOJON, I wonder if there's anything better? In my experience BMW are not an oil manufacturer, they're a car manufacturer. The oils they pay rights for will not necessarily be the best oil, they will be the oil they can make the most money out of & have their vehicle last within warranty period for the cheapest price. In my experience it's best to find out what spec oil they use & look at alternative higher-end brands. Though this is the first time I've ever had trouble finding a spec of oil for a car I've bought. This topic has been heavily discussed in recent years.
Your manual must be own old revision or something. Use the electronic manual which is constantly updated. You will be prompted to enter your VIN

This is from the BMW Driver's Guide app for my car which lists oil for oil changes and for topping up. Of course mine is the USA version so LL01 is the norm here. Viscosity is also printed on a sticker under the hood for mine:
Attached Images

Last edited by nioh_lbbm2; 04-19-2020 at 04:50 AM..
Appreciate 0