02-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #112
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
The one on the left is the 'new' switch with the extra button. The one on the right is the 'old' original switch.
OK, with this new information and my original goal of simply installing a switch between the new pins (the ones now present with the new P/N 9252912 that comes with the P button), I tore into this. And got frustrated. My theory was that there is a new button with two wires going to it, so it should simply be connecting or disconnecting them to turn off the camera. Not the case.

The one thing I learned definitively is that the switch is held in by tabs at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock. Trying the jimmy the switch out at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock was stressful and unproductive. If you unclip the alcantra boot around the shift knob (mine is 6MT, but DCT should be the same), you can simply press in the tab that is forward of the traction Off button and right under the surface. Press it in (towards the back of the car) and it will pop up. You can't reach the back/6:00 one this way but it should pop right out when the forward clip is removed. Mine was super tight and didn't seem to want to budge with the credit cards and trim tools.

Regarding a cheap or hidden way of triggering the effing camera off when you take it out of reverse, I was not able to figure out how. I shorted the two new pins to each other, to ground, to various other pins and could not get it to work consistently. I could scratch pin 10 (I'm calling the new pins 9 and 10 since they are lower right when you look at the harness) to pin 8 (yes eight) and was able to get it to turn off the camera most of the time but it was erratic and wouldn't work with a simple switch. Scratching repeatedly usually did it, sometimes immediately sometimes not.

So there's something that little switch is doing to the signal, or I'm a moron, or both a and b. I had a multimeter on it and tracked what happened to what pins. I was more interested in figuring this out as a challenge rather than saving $100, but I failed. Now I see bmwdd's post about the PDC retrofit but not sure if it's related to this or not.

Don't mean to confuse anything or anyone on this thread, so suffice it to say the switch p/n from the OP works great and this is irrelevant.
Appreciate 0