View Single Post
      02-02-2020, 09:31 AM   #1411
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
The M2 CS is largely a parts bin car (a very nice car, but mostly from the parts bin nevertheless). I think some of you may be overestimating how much money BMW put into research and design. I don't know that I'd describe it as a cash cow for BMW, but I highly doubt they did this project to break even or to realize only marginal profits. That just doesn't score well on the believability scale.
We know that, for the M2 Competition, BMW detuned the S55 engine of the M3/M4 to a 411hp output.

We also know that the M2 CS gets the S55 engine with exactly the same 450hp output and 550Nm torque of the S55 engine of the M3 Competition and M4 Competition (featuring the S55 engine of the M3 and M4 with a 19hp power bump: from 431hp to 450hp). The M3 CS and M4 CS got a retuned S55 engine with 460hp and 600Nm torque.

IMHO it's logical to consider that BMW spent way more time and money on properly integrating and testing the S55 engine fitted inside the F87 (previously powered by an N55 engine with 370hp output) to create the "M2 Competition" (redesigned F87 front end + adapting the S55 to F87 chassis dynamics, apart from all other changes such as particularly the exhaust layout and interior update) + detune it to 410hp output.

It would be interesting to hear from BMW engineers whether:
  • they retuned the S55 engine of the M2 Competition from 411hp to 450hp;
  • whether they saved time and money by simply fitting the M3 Competition / M4 Competition S55 engine without major tinkering (let's call it 'efficiency with resources', rather than 'plug 'n play with bin parts' ).