12-27-2018, 02:51 PM   #637
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
You should really visit some of the replica watch forums. You'll find many of them are big fans of horology and own many genuine watches along with replicas. These aren't the guys who are going to stalls in street markets looking for cheap Rolex.

The quality of high end replica watches is very good. They are using 904L steel, ceramic bezels and sapphire glass just as the real ones do. They are built in factories with assembly lines just as genuine watches are. These are not hole in the wall operations. Yes, some use copied ETA movements and quality control is questionable.. but you are also buying a copy at a fraction of the price. If said ETA movement fails... just buy a new movement and swap it in. And there are replicas with copies of the genuine movements or just swap in a genuine movement and build a hybrid. Since the replicas are exact, they are interchangeable with genuine parts.

Rolex Submariners are vastly overpriced for what you get. Any watch enthusiast knows you're paying for a mass production $1000 watch for $7500 just because Rolex can command that price on the market.
Oh I do relatively frequently. Many of the factories, Noob, JF, ZF are not as you think though. They certainly fall into the more hole in the wall side of things compared to other "factories". The actual factories in China are the ones busting out the DHGate, street market Rolexs. Relatively to the other replica markets, the high-end Rolex replicas you and I see on the websites we visit are in a very small market, most people in the market for a Replica would never spend $400++ for a replica watch.

With the replacement of genuine parts, it is hit or miss. On some you can, some you can't. It depends on who manufactured the replica. Many have made successful FrankenWatches but there are many discrepancies. The replicas are not quite exact in terms of dimensions, even the highest priced ones. The 904L steel they allegedly use is very iffy, it is different then 316L but I would say the manufacturing standards they use in replica factories are not advanced enough to produce actual 904L. Close in feel and finish, but not durability. The ceramic is quite close, but again not similar in the unseen variables. However for what you get when buying, say, a brand new Noob Submariner - you are getting great value in a watch regardless.

I would also disagree with the fact you stated where a Rolex is up-marked from $1,000 to $7,500. I know for a fact that Rolex has a huge ego with their brand and understand the brand value, but I wouldn't say that a watch made with the same tolerances and engineering as a Submariner without the brand would be $1,000 - that is a little ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
outside of precious metals; i would say virtually all watches are vastly overpriced and sold on the name... that by default is what defines a luxury good; as far as movement; guess what a $400 apple watch is going to be far more accurate... watches are bought and sold based on name; no matter what anyone spins; i have a sub, but i sure as hell dont own it for its fine mechanism...
While I do agree in part with the luxury brand price gouging, I also disagree with some other points you made. For example; I know someone who bought a "Chanel" watch recently, it has a freaking $400 ETA movement and they spent $8k on it. That is true luxury tax, and frankly just plain stupid. No one who buys into luxury goods like that gives a shit about horology.

As to the Apple watch/Quartz watch argument of accuracy, that cannot be disputed. However, the advantages of having a self-powered, extremely reliable, accurate and quality timepiece cannot be disputed as well. I don't understand owning a steel Submariner, as you said, for just the brand or "luxury". There are not many mechanical watches that can compete with the tolerances it is built to withstand. There are many fantastic Quartz watches too, but they have their drawbacks in terms of function. Apple watches are just plain silly and I think they are a very stupid thing to wear, but that falls in line with my bias against Apple products in general.