Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post

the S55 uses 10w-60

Attachment 1895743
That's actually not true.... It is recommend for 0w30, 5w30, or 0w40 and I believe 5w40.

Again it is NOT a good idea to run super high weights that are so far out of the recommend range specified by bmw due to the tight tolerances these engines are built to. If you go with such a high oil weight oil may have a difficult time getting into rod bearings or tight spots (turbo bearings etc) in the engine causing increased wear...

IMO it's best to use oil weights in the bmw toelrated range 0w30 or 5w30 for street usage and one weight up for track (to better handle the higher temps w/o drops in viscosity and loss in protection) use such as a 0w40. The important aspect of oil is its ability to protect against frictional wear and ability to withstand high heat and repeated heat cycling without degrading or falling out of its viscosity ratings. That imo is way more important that the standard notion that higher weight is better..... So the best way to find out which is a good oil to use is by looking at the countless sources of nonbiased TEST DATA actual data with sensible testing methods. I would link it but I cannot find the article I read comparing brands like castrol, mobil1, amsoil, penzzoil, and others for wear testing with a metal bearings. This lead me to use pennzoil ultra platinum on my m2 as it consistently performed among the top of the oil competitors. Sure it isn't bmw certified (i think they lost it because they didnt test it with a newer standard or something iirc) but I change my oils really frequently so it shouldnt matter.
Appreciate 0