Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrbri View Post
The sticker under my hood reads 0W30 so that's what I'll use and given it's a //M car, the factory recommendation has other considerations outside of fuel economy. Although I do change the oil/filter every 5-7k miles or every other track day
you will get better protection with a 40 weight oil specially at high temperatures, 0w30 will be very thin...

the N55 in the M2 is basically same engine as the one in the M235 apart from crankshaft, oil sump and a few other parts...... that's why it uses as 30 weight oil...and the push for BMW for better fuel economy... and probably less than 5% of the cars see any track days....

the S55 uses 10w-60 for a reason...

I'm sure the 2019 M2 will NOT be using 0w30

Update: they actually do WTF??????
Attachment 1895743
Just a FYI. With regards to Euro spec oils the HTHS* doesn't vary that much between a 30 & 40 weight. This is why Euro oils have historically been known to be "Thick 30" OR "Thin 40". The biggest difference between these oils in the Euro spec world is the cost to manufacture. 5w40's are cheaper to blend.

*HTHS (High Temperature High Shear) https://commercial.lubrizoladditives...f-engine-oils/

Running too thick of an oil will just result in lost HP from higher churning losses and excess heat.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0