05-10-2017, 08:47 PM   #214
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
^This. I don't have an M2, but my M235 behaves the same exact way. There are clearly nannies at play in all modes except DSC OFF. DSC OFF is by far the best mode by a mile if you like to drive and feel what the car is doing under moderate to hard driving. Under harder acceleration (~60+% throttle) boost and/or throttle is being cut in gears 1 and 2 in the M235 in all modes expect DSC OFF (confirmed this with my Torque on multiple occasions). I'm sure the M2 is the same and I bet even in 3rd, the M2 is cutting power. BMW has gone to great lengths to make the turbo power delivery more linear and in most modes, "comfortable".

It's so funny to hear people talk about how frightening and dangerous it is to drive a higher powered car with no nannies looming in the background. I had a modified 1994 Z28 back in college. That car had ABS; that's it. The car weighed 3,300lbs and made 290whp/330wtq. I didn't wreck it, put it in a ditch, etc. and I still managed to drive around in the snow with it on all season tires and in a hilly town no less. My roommate had a modded 1990 Mustang 5.0. That too didn't get wrecked. Did these cars, including my M235, sometimes get loose in hard driving or in poor conditions? Sure but it teaches you chassis dynamics and how to read/feel the tires and chassis. I'm not saying go out a drive like an a-hole on public roads, but you really are missing out on the experience if you don't see what DSC OFF is all about.

Lastly, the Comfort throttle (which is used in DSC OFF) in my M235 is rather numb for a 6MT. I'm currently running a Sprint Booster V3 and have upped throttle response about 15% and it made a world of difference when driving in Comfort, Traction Off (i.e., the "Hidden Exhaust Mode"), DSC OFF, and Sport (chassis only setting). I found the Sport throttle too aggressive and hard to manipulate for smooth 6MT driving.
Wow, at least someone else on this board has driven a car before! If you haven't driven one / owned one, I highly recommend trying a 911. You can leave traction control on all the time. I had a 2011 turbo. You can get the car sideways before the light even comes on. BMW has gone way too far to protect us from ourselves. This MDM mode is even bullshit. Bad enough we need to select something different every time we get in the car, but it still isn't that well engineered.

I need to check the traction mode some more. Still didn't seem to me that the exhaust flaps were open all the time. Also don't agree that MDM mode puts the steering and throttle in Sport, seems Traction is otherwise still Comfort mode.
Appreciate 0