12-06-2018, 06:34 AM   #71
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W12x View Post
Yea I noticed that too, rarely see any diesel in China and Japan but Korea is full of them. Some have good M-Package and wheels tho. And the 70% KDM rate is pretty damn close to what I have seen.

I was staying in Gangnam and found BMWs in the underground garage, but that's pretty funny (and I did see a lot of cars have the door cushion to avoid getting dented)

Also saw a fake M5 in Myeongdong walking district, it was not a good fake and really easy to tell it's not real M from the engine sound, but didn't stop the driver from thinking that he's the center of attention for the entire tourist area:
Oh the 70% figure is actually true, but obviously not 30% BMW's lol but it's definitely close. And usually they're optioned pretty well, but not by choice! I guess BMW Korea options them all in an effort to effect resale so you just have to pick off the lot. As a result a lot of times they're a lot more expensive.

"Engine tax" or "fuel consumption tax" when purchasing the car makes buying M cars pretty cost prohibitive, especially the bigger engines. That is why the OG M2 has been so popular here, it has a smaller engine displacement so it's an affordable M car tax-wise. Lol.

Like the Lexus IS350 was never even offered here for that exact reason, interestingly enough! Same as you'll never find a 550i.