View Single Post
      11-07-2020, 11:09 AM   #12
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkdriver View Post
My M2 (OG) is not my daily, maybe driven once a month on the road but at least one weekend a month on track. I would like to add a front splitter but not one of these cosmetic ones that don't really do anything. I'm looking at APRs entry that has connecting rods in front. Has anyone had experience with this one or another that actually has front downforce to balance a rear wing? These things get beat up so I'm not interested in spending $1k to $2k every time I break one.
To get something with an appreciable amount of downforce on the track and still be able to drive the car on the street without tearing it off I think the best way to go about it with a setup that incorporates a removable lower piece. Something like this RKP lip - the lower piece is also available in FRP.

The other way to go could be to see if you have a local shop that can fab a lower piece for you at whatever length you want specifically for the track. Plywood is pretty common; we have used a material called Tegris as well that I really like too (sheets can be bought but the anything you make cannot be resold due to Nascar's patent rights). ABS, aluminum, alumilite, fiberglass, carbon fiber. Depending on how you want to attach it and how rigid you make it will determine if you need to use stanchions or cables to support it. Personally I would try to avoid them if possible for aesthetic reasons on a car that does see street time. This would be the option I would try to go with personally.

You can also look into canards, tunnels (diffusors) in the lower splitter, etc to help generate more downforce. Also want to make sure spring rates, ride height, etc are ok with the downforce you add.

Last edited by OG Shark; 11-08-2020 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 1