10-13-2020, 12:55 AM   #31
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
CrashFL - you have had a taste of grip - there is no way you're going to be okay with going backwards now

The heat was a bit rough this weekend - almost 100* for his last two track days. Think the heat accelerated the wear a bit this time, plus he is fast.

The RT660 sound promising, hopefully they live up to the hype. A0052 wear too fast. The GY Supercar's sound like a good one to try. Although they are slower than RE71s - I love NT01's for grinding out laps (wear great and are extremely consistent throughout their lifespan) - but not so fun in the wet. To me cup2's are an option if you are hard to fit.

Unfortunately this level of tire is a lot about finding which compromise works best for you. Starting to get into the tradeoff of wear for speed. Also if you only take one set of tires to the track want to make sure they wet friendly imo. All this with the size constraints of the F87 platform can be a bit of a headache.
This. I completely agree.

I'm not in a position to take spare tires with me to the track, which along with availability restriction drove me to Cup2. I also think having a bulletproof tire is important if it's your only set, and you like to attack curbs, and have to get home on the same set. I know there are faster tires, but for my use case they are a nice compromise.

Now I try to adjust my driving to be fairly quick, while being easy on tires to make them last. I start around 29psi cold, and don't let them get over 36. I usually have to air them down again by noon. I noticed Cup2 runs cooler by about 15C compared to Pilot Super Sport. Haven't seen them break 75C yet on the same track.

But you're spot on, having a combination of speed, drivability, durability and wet grip is a bit like solving a differential equation with 3 unknowns.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 10-13-2020 at 02:03 AM..
Appreciate 3
OG Shark4692.50
bentom2335.50
CrashFL137.50