View Single Post
      08-31-2020, 08:13 AM   #18
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Funny that BMW, Bimmerworld, and other groups give similar metrics for acceptable oil burn. I don't know anyone burning that much oil! Maybe it helps with Ferrari style oil burn cheating.

I'm going to give the Red Line Euro 5W-40 a shot. I know it's LL-04, but it has better specs than 300V and the other Red Line oils, and if it creates less "soot" all the better.

I haven't read anything anywhere accept hearsay that the differences in metals/additives would have any impact on a non-OPF/DPF car. It's what Bimmerworld uses in their race cars and I'll be changing the oil every 5K or so anyways, so should be fine.
Its BMW that requires LL-04 for OPF cars, im sure it wont hurt non-OPF cars. As to why its important I never found out. I imagine it had to do with the life/function of the OPF and preserving it. So prob more refined for less soot as you say.

The TIS page I linked had some interesting info on "oil consumption" and things I'd never thought about. Like you might get huge oil consumption after a lot of short trips followed by a long trip as the long trip lets fuel collected in the short trips evaporate out of the oil.

It is well worth a read.

I have heard of S55 needing 1L every 5k km or so but no direct exp. (and 6 of my friends have S55 cars )

I think any big brand oil will do esepcially if you swap it out frequently. I would love to go to 0W40 but no LL-04 0W40 around.

EDIT: So the redline looks good but its almost 3 times more expensive than the OEM stuff so Id rather do 3 times as many oil changes.

The S55 keeps things very cool in OEM trim so im not too worried about going up a grade.

Last edited by Megator; 08-31-2020 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 2
ZM22810.50
Kankles1484.50