02-27-2020, 02:38 PM   #8
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
If you're having coating failure after six months then there's something wrong with this scenario...

It's interesting your detailer said "if you want to". You always need to use a topper on a ceramic coating and most companies that have a ceramic coating will have their complementary ceramic booster that is meant to be used after each wash based on your washing frequency. A ceramic coating will not last as long as they claim without proper maintenance. Proper maintenance means many different things, but having it washed frequently and topping it off are part of that group. So sounds like your detailer is just ripping you off because he knows if you don't touch your paint you'll need him to do a couple sprays where he charges all profit for the work.

Your washing method sounds perfect so again something in the equation is not adding up. The detailing industry is definitely getting saturated with people who are not as professional as they claim in the knowledge department. I also find it strange being recommended to use an APC on your ceramic coated car. When you do the prep properly and maintain the finish properly you shouldn't need anything other than your basic washes to keep it alive.

I recommend you digging into forums and doing your own research rather than trusting someone just because they have a "detailing business". Just my two cents.
Appreciate 0