02-14-2020, 06:23 PM   #13
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJRocksIt View Post
Finally got some time with a Genius from the dealership and we walked through several potential causes of the transmission behavior.

The most probable is that I'm being told when you crank up the Drivelogic, have Sport+ engaged, AND have traction control turned off, the car will switch itself into sequential shift mode. He also mentioned some "extra level" of Drivelogic that gets engaged with the settings enabled, but I've never seen that. I know that the exhaust changes a bit as you stack different settings, but I'm not aware of a 4th level of Drivelogic.

I have never turned off TCS (I'm no hero), so I have a hard time buying this explanation of the behavior. I'm going to go and test and try to reproduce the issue based on what they say causes it.

OP, the "genius" is almost certainly feeding you a line of bulls***. There is no extra level of Drivelogic. The transmission should NEVER change between automatic and manual shift modes. This would be a safety violation and a massive liability for BMW if this were somehow a "feature." Thus, the only other possibility would be that it is not a feature, but a bug. After nearly 2 years on this forum, I have not seen any other members cite this issue, nor any threads on this issue. This does not seem to be a widespread problem - in all my time on this forum, reading nearly every M2 and M2C post, yours is the only one I've come across citing this issue. That would seem to indicate that there's something wrong with your transmission, and the dealer should fix it under warranty.

Reminds me of a recent NPR Radiolab episode about cosmic rays randomly causing "bit flips" in electronic systems. It's a real phenomenon. But, the episode went on to then make the tenuous assertion that the whole Toyota "sudden acceleration" issue back in the early 2010's timeframe might also have been caused by cosmic rays... When I got to that part of the episode, I had to turn the radio off otherwise I would have had an aneurysm from apoplectic rage. No, the "Toyota sudden acceleration" issue is otherwise known as "I stepped on the gas pedal when I meant to step on the brake." EVERY SINGLE BLACK BOX recovered from every single Toyota with "sudden acceleration" issues, showed that the driver was stepping on the accelerator when they meant to step on the brake. But, in terms of catchy bulls***, you can't imagine a more compelling media story!

By the same token, when a BMW "genius" tells you that there's some "extra level" of Drivelogic, like it's some secret Easter egg in a video game that you can unlock if you hit the right combination of buttons... it sure does sound like catchy bulls*** to me!
Appreciate 0