01-31-2018, 08:58 AM   #18
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwin View Post
Can someone explain the difference between using petro 94 w/ ethanol vs using shell v-power 91 w/o ethanol?
Usually NA gas providers will contain from 0 % up to 15 % of ethanol contents. (Usually 10 %), and vehicles that are manufacturered relateviely recent (after around 2008 i think) will have no harm, according to manufacturer, to run with gas with 10 % ethanol. (For Flex Fuel says 15 % is okay as well)

However, therer are few known factors that ethanol does and could affect engine of vehicles.

1. As ethanol is more volatile than octane it dries out the rubber (or soft plastic) components in fuel line and supply system resulting in cracks and gaps. More volatile characteristic also connects with higher freezing point which could result in condensation when temperature changed from low to high. (eg. entering garage from cold weather outside)

2. Ethanol is more corrosive in contact with some metal like zinc/ aluminum alloys and giving negative effect on injection in general in long term.

3. Also known to give more inefficent gas mileage. (I believe this was actually stated from New York Times before. Although it should not be a huge concern ppl driving vehicles like M2... LoL)
Appreciate 0