01-13-2019, 12:47 PM   #61
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust350z View Post
From Australia. Can confirm that this is a printing error. 245/265 tyres here for everyone.
Yes, printing error, they recycle the manual from the M3 and modify it for the M2. My 1M manual said my car came with a high performance V8. The BMW website said the 1M came with dual disc clutch. On ED I met with head of M Germany and asked him. He confirmed that it was a mistake and had the website fixed to say dual mass flywheel.

With all that said, what caught my attention is that I want to go with 18" wheels. They are more go than the 19s for show and perform better on bad roads. However the wheels I like only come in 9.5" wide front and 10.5" rear. Everyone goes with smaller diameter 265 and 285s but I don't like that. That is great for normally aspirated high revving cars that need to spool up quickly but in our cars with big torque we are actually shortening up the powerband a bit and recording extra miles on the car due to the smaller diameter.

The more appropriate 275 and 295 sizes are marginal, can rub and the extra weight can blunt performance. So I was also thinking slightly larger diameter M3 sizes 255-40-18 and 275-40-18 might be the best compromise but I have not found anyone to have run this yet and it would be an expensive test.

The F80 M3s run these sizes and use the same offsets so it would be a simple test for you to find someone with an M3 and just try these out on the M2. The car has enough torque for the slightly larger diameter and slightly heavier tire but my educated guess is that you really won't gain much since what makes the M2 special is the balance the M guys put into the car. Changing the tire sizes will probably upset that balance everyone raves about.
Appreciate 0