View Single Post
      08-28-2017, 09:28 PM   #198
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
i owned an E92 M3 when it came out, it got plenty negatives. It got too big and the 1 M was the true M3. lol
I think you're a bit confused, my friend. 1M came out in 2010 and hit the market in mid 2011 when E9X M3's has been already on the road for almost three years and was approaching LCI.

To be fair, among the overwhelming praises, there was first some critic of E9X being heavier than previous generation, which is perfectly legitimate. But fact is, steering is fine, 4.0 V8 is fascinating (then) and gearbox (DCT gen1 vs SMG) is a huge improvement. Not until 1M came out, had people come to realize what it really means to a M car to have a right size/wheelbase. The turbocharged 1M was considered "more fun" due to the size and balance.

Other than these critics, E9X M3 has been consistently compared to 911 WITH S in every aspect (nobody today seriously does that with F80/82 gen), is still easily rated as the annual best car by C&D and MT.

M2 today is a refined 1M, while M3/4 is a different car than E9X, with a huge step off M track. That's even the prevailing opinion inside BMW, but there is little they can do to change that because everything should be based on long wheelbase 3 series. I took HPDE training on Aug 20 at Shanghai F1 racetrack and met Cl**s (I'm not supposed to publicize his name), a senior BMW HPDE global trainer/manager, who spoke in private on M car:
"Well...it's probably my age coming into play, I prefer older generations of M cars. From current lineup, it is the 1M and M2 that represents M the best in my opinion". BTW, this man felt sorry for me because he thought I have a M4.