View Single Post
      07-26-2015, 03:24 AM   #620
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Fakes watches are stupid and it has nothing to do with a need to feel status or superior. For some yes, they buy a Rolex just because it's a Rolex.
I've had nice watches since I was in my twenties and even interviewed for the Hayek Watchmaking school in Florida, but made a decision on another career because of my age. Having an appreciation for the quality, craftsmanship and beauty as well as the love and passion for horology cannot be satisfied by a fake counterfeit item. I feel it's deceptive and would feel like a fake and shallow person myself.

If I couldn't buy the real authentic item, I'd settle for something real of less value, Tag and Tissot make excellent watches and the used market has great Omegas and Breitlings for great discounts. The process of saving and or working hard and finding the right deal make the acquisition so much more pleasurable and enjoyable.

Would you drive around in a Fiero with and F40 kit or a 335i with a bunch of M3 badges on it. Would you slap fake vents on the side of your fenders and throw AMG C63s badges and a body kit on your 2009 C300. I guess if you could live with that then ok, I couldn't.

At the end of the day it's a luxury item that's not essential in daily living but for someone who has an appreciation and a love for something like the mechanical and analog character of swiss watches the process of a person working hard and saving and finally buying something you worked so hard for makes the enjoyment and purchase so rewarding. I know almost everything about the watches I own, I love Rolex for it's history and heritage as well as Omega and Panerai although I don't own all those models, it's just interesting to read about the development and challenge of making watches accurate, durable and waterproof/water-resistant.
The engineering is intriguing and very scientific and pretty incredible. I love to see vintage watches, they tell a story and have a history, "it belonged to my father or grandfather".... and here it is today still ticking, long after it's owner has passed on.

You can't recreate this with a fake. I don't judge or think harshly of anyone with a fake unless there sole purpose is to be promote something falsely. I've had friends who bought fakes and they were up front from the beginning....I just said, well if you like that one, you would really love the real thing because it's much better. Is it $10k better...maybe, maybe not....but is an M3 $30-40k better than a 335is, or a GT3 $70k better than a 911...for many and every single owner of the higher end product it is.

Of course I didn't even talk about precious metals, but a solid gold watch is just gorgeous and platinum feels amazing on the wrist....those too have a price justification, but it's an individual appreciation.
Appreciate 0