View Single Post
      01-16-2020, 12:10 AM   #15
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Don't get carried away with whole the "S" designation, that was a thing of the past. All BMW motors are now built modular, meaning from W to S, the hardware don't deviate as much as they used to, as it's overall potential is bridled by software, to adapt to each iteration and model hierarchy.
There is a significant difference driving my N55 M2 back to back with my S55 M2C, you can tell which one is the true M engine quite easily. Reminds me of going back between a S52 and S54, both fine engines but the S54 was obviously a Motorsport built engine.

Yes there are no longer ITB's and solid lifters but its responsiveness and rev happiness along with its more mechanical sound makes for a far more lively experience, I find myself keeping the S55 revved up more while the N55 can be short shifted quite easily and feels far more laggy from the right foot.

Quite a few hardware differences: http://s3.bimmerfile.com.s3.amazonaw...S55-Engine.pdf