View Single Post
      03-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #7
dabootski
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldM2 View Post
I just finished an autocross session this afternoon in my 2018 6sp LCI. I'm on Ohlins R&T coils, Titan 7 Ts5 wheels, on Michelin PS4S front 255/35/19, rear 257/35/19. The corners were really tight and this course was really tricky as it demanded good weight transfer control. Coming out some of the corners i would be losing grip and if it wasn't for the half traction i would've spun out 2 or 3 times. I know i could've shaved off 2-3 seconds off my fastest time but im not sure how. Right now im thinking of getting a new wheel and tire set up for track use. Any advice?
If you’re relatively new to autocross, I’d recommend getting an experienced driver to ride along with you and/or drive your car while you ride passenger. Although the M2 diff helps put down power incredibly well, you still need to apply throttle with care or you’ll get a decent amount of wheel spin exiting tight/slow corners depending on the surface grip. Having someone experienced in the car with you will allow you to get feedback on if you’re being too abrupt with your inputs. You’d be amazed at how well these cars put down power with traction control completely disabled if you’re smooth with your inputs - even in the wet with proper tires (PS4S being a very good one).

As others have mentioned, some stickier tires will certainly help. However, if you’re currently on PS4S tires and relying on traction control to save you, you probably need to spend more time working on your inputs, as those are a very good non-200TW, non-r-compound tire.
Appreciate 0