David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
OUCH.
So.. essentially.. the best time to do this is as an upgrade when your car is destroyed by either hail that's so bad it shatters the glass.. or perhaps after you have rolled your vehicle..

One will need to find a specialty shop or a RACE shop to do this. Many many repairers will blanch at replacing a roof...

When you say.. " I would have no issue doing this " are you a consumer or a repair facility employee. ?

in my experience.. glass doesn't " break by itself upon removal.. " glass is BROKEN often times when repair facility employees attempt removal. Whether or not it actually is BROKEN by the shop employees who then say " it broke upon removal" because they were just trying to get it out the fastest way possible.. or... if it was actually broken during a serious attempt to preserve it is pretty much a secret most owners will never know unless the are present and watching the disassembly.

That's what I noticed as well..

MR did you see the same?
I am both. I can have a glass company remove the glass and I can do the rest in a weekend. Get the bonding agent and some clamps and good to go. Any competent body shop can do this. Any good tech can also, if they can replace a sunroof cassette than they can do the roof.