calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Nice write up! I did the 2 Day School starting July 8. Rob only had a slight break from the end of your school to dinner for us at 7PM at the Cliff House in La Quinta. We were all put up at the Miramonte Resort which is under renovation and kind of so-so

We do the same events as you did for the 1st day, except a slightly different rotation in cars. My memory is fuzzy on the order of what we did the first day...We had 12 in our class and split into groups of 6.

I did the skid pad first with the F80. Then I think it was the cornering exercise in the orange area (maybe it was the F82 or the F87). Then the autocross area with lapping in the F87. After that I think lunch. Followed by the rat race in the F80. Then I think it was the timed autocross in the F87. Then we did the green course in the F82, which was timed. You got 2 laps to throw in your best time--with no practice runs.

After the last event of Day 1, we had appetizers and dinner at the performance center. I can assure you that this was an exhausting day and I was in bed and asleep by about 930PM.

The second day is spent on the Thermal tracks--specifically the South Palms circuit (your track circuit may vary). We did two exercises on the South Palms circuit in the morning. One with the F80 with a big straight and a tight left hander, setting up for a right and left turn and a straight.

Then we switched to the F82 and did a different straight and double apex turn with a chicane after.

Then it was back to the skidpad to do a timed cloverleaf exercise with the F87 with everything off. This was a lot of fun, the skid pad was not wet but still very slippy.

Lunch then followed and they allowed us to do a couple of laps of a small section in either the i8 or the M760.

Then it was back to the track for long laps of the South Palms circuit in the F80 and F82 in a lead-follow exercise. 1 instructor for 3 students following. We reached speeds of about 130+ on the straights. The M3 I drove overheated once and lost power steering on my last lap or so.

Then we switched to the F82 and had to go get some gas before getting on the track. I think we did 15 minute stints with a break (30 minutes total in each car). The M4 overheated on me and we burned 1/2 a tank of gas.

After this, we went back to the BMW course and did another timed autocross event in the M2. However, the course was in reverse (red section). We had 2 practice runs and 6 timed runs. I lost power steering just before my 4th timed run and switched cars to a performance edition M2.

Then it was back to the big track for the instructor hot laps.

We got the same goodies as you did, but also got a jacket (exclusive to the 2 Day School) and a polo shirt.

The second day is much less tiring than the first day because you aren't working the wheel, throttle, and brakes as much. I was tired at the end of the 2nd day, but much less so than the 1st day.

Also of note, if you attend an M Track Day event, you'll get a 20% off coupon for any M School, including advanced.

F82 time 2lap run

And a link to a few pictures
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)

Last edited by calbears; 07-12-2017 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
MN2///M521.00