View Single Post
      10-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #41
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpauly View Post
I sure hope they don't treat the M2 as the "entry level" M car.

I am not interested in the M2 because (some people think) it will be cheaper. I want the M2 because it's smaller and lighter, which *should* translate into better performance/responsiveness. And I don't need a big car, seeing more 4-series on the road lately and WOW they look so much wider... I do not "aspire" to buy an M4 or M5. I could afford those cars right now, but I don't want them, they are too big. If the M2 outperforms the M3/4 then I don't even mind if it costs more than an M4...

I bought my 135i because it was the right mix of size and performance, not because it was the "entry level" BMW. I don't care if my next car is a BMW or not. If they deliver on the performance, it will be. If they intentionally hobble the car so as not to upstage it's larger kin then I probably won't want one.

Also, could we start a list of things we definitely don't want on the M2? I'll start;

no Active Sound.
Depends what you mean by them holding back. In a straight line or timed lap, no the M2 will not be as fast as an M3/4. We already know it's going to be down on power, and the M3/4 looks like it's seriously underrated. Them throwing an N55 in there rather than an S55 says it all.

Having said that, I agree with you that the M2 should have a more playful character. It's really no different than my E36. It only has 240hp but I'd argue it's more fun to drive than my E92 with almost twice the horsepower.

P.S. You can forget about active sound, it'll have it. But to me, that's not a deal breaker because:
1) It sounded fine on the M3/4 IRL
2) Someone will be able to code it off, so nowhere even close to enough of a reason to skip on this car.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0