06-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #122
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crebain View Post
This thread is timely.

I was just driving back home and hoped on a freeway with no one around, full throttle 1st, 2nd, and with the shift to third gear I experienced a solid second?( felt like forever ) of absolutely nothing... The car felt like it just sat there THEN the boost kicked in and it went like a bat out of hell.

This was in a manual, sport + mode 18 LCI.

- I was shifting fast
- shift from 2nd to 3rd was at 6800+rpm

Comparison with my 11 STI stage 2 is whats going on here?=). Using the STI just as a benchmark there was no discernible wait between shifts, sure the turbo would spool down a bit but there was no pronounced dead spot. I think I understand turbo lag vs throttle response and how that affects drivability and I get that you need to keep the rpm's in a sweet spot with most turbo cars. That meant driving the evo and Subarus at 4k + for the best driving experience.

I've had too many turbo cars actually after my e30 m3, wrx, evo 8, evo 10, then the STI.

Talking with my friend who dailies a 1m and has a similar car past to me suggested that its the nannies getting in the way and he drives when safe only with everything off, no DCT or mdm.

Sorry this is long winded, I love the m2 and want to learn how it works =)

I'm going to try the same pulls with everything off and see if it was traction control stepping in and be mindful of my shifting. Lets see if anything changes.

Been there, done that.. Youll find the lag is still present on MT M2s, nannies or no nannies.