10-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #42
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmurf View Post
Great pics, great vids, and I bet, great memories! Love the Alps but I've not had a chance to take the M2 there.

When is the best time of year weather wise?

Surprise there are not more bikes in the videos, I've heard the bikes can be a PITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mt* View Post
thanks, and you are right.
great memories which can be refreshed with watching the videos :-)

We started our trips at the beginning of Juli, because we wanted to be sure, that we have no snow on the roads.
Normally June should be fine too.
As you can see in the M2C video, in October you can have snow.
So my recommendation is: July to September is the best time, normally one month sooner or later should also be ok.

we had luck and there were not so many motorcyclists and bikes on the way

The Stelvio Pass normally opens in the first week or two of June. It stays open until late October or so. Really until the first major snow hits the area.

My first time there was in the first week or June, just days after the Giro Italia bicycle race... that was crazy. Also the snow doesn't full melt away until June.

Last year in July, it snowed four inches over night while I was there. We drove up the pass in the dark and with rain and fog... took us like and hour driving so slow to our hotel(Hotel Perego). Damn that was scary drive. This year in August it also snowed a few times(four inches or so)... so its best to have a plan B and check the web cameras and weather reports.

When it does snow in the summer time... its only at the very top and only for a day or so.

Best times are mid June to late September. AND... drive very early in the day or late in the afternoon to miss those Bikers, Trikes, and RV's driving those hair pin turns.

Dackel

Name:  Stelvio hotel   Perego 20140901_121151_Richtone(HDR).jpg
Views: 997
Size:  128.1 KB

Name:  Stelvio painting Stilfserjoch   22228643_1577249082298095_1748080563092005449_n.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  144.9 KB

Name:  Stelvio snow day ject-1.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  173.1 KB
Appreciate 2
*mt*1697.50
dtmurf481.50