08-14-2021, 02:08 AM   #13
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
So I dumbassed this and charged on the battery directly. I am trying to find out if I damaged the battery or IBS. Any idea on how to check?
Yeah this is pretty common, and when I was new to this platform I did it on my m235i as well. Since it was with my CTEK mus 7002 it was fine as it was microprocessor controlled and monitors voltage, and comes with a low ripple rating to prevent electronic damage. Zero issues with the battery as it was never over charged (had the car for a couple of years and zero problems with that battery even in the winter), and IBS had zero issues as diagnosed below.

1) This is the most important one, but what charger did you use? If you used a low ripple charger that is microprocessor controlled to not over charge then the chance of damage to the IBS is literally almost zero. If you used a really crappy charger the chances of damage are higher, and if you jump started the car you have an extremely high chance of frying the IBS. If your charging and jump started had a surge or alot of sparking then there is a huge chance your IBS is dead.

In most cases the battery will be absolutely fine, unless your charger doesn't stop charging and just keeps force feeding the battery.

2) To check if everything is ok here is what you should do:

a) For the IBS check ISTA, if ISTA doesn't show any codes and can stilll report a battery voltage that matches what your multi meter reads (while the car is in accessory mode) you should be fine. There are also ISTA diagnostic procedures to check if the IBS is ok as well, and you can run that.

But if no errors are reported the IBS is fine. Also check it to see if there is any physical damage.

b) For the battery check it with a multi meter is the voltage within normal range? If yes you are ok. Then check the physical shape of the battery - is it warped or swollen, are the terminals damaged? if not you should be fine. The battery should be the toughest part of the system and if it didn't blow up, catch on fire, or warp/bulge, and or melt from over charging and surging you are fine.